lillian

Lillian E. Jones

(1893-1991)


What is The Lillian E. Jones Museum?

Opened in 1995, the Lillian E. Jones Museum is a resource for the entire Jackson County community fulfilling Miss Jones’ dream of an historical, cultural and educational museum in her family’s former home in loving memory of her parents Edwin and Lola Williams Jones.

 Currently, the Jones Museum offers at least four themed exhibits inside the main building, while also maintaining a large and eclectic permanent collection that includes:

  • a vast number of rare items and photographs collected by Miss Jones during her travels in the 1950s and 1960s;
  • sculpture and research materials from internationally acclaimed artist Fletcher Benton, who was a family friend of Miss Jones;
  • hundreds of bound volumes of all the different Jackson newspapers from the late 1890s to 1992;
  • more than 80 hard copies of Jackson High School yearbooks, the Osky Wow, from 1912-1991 and digitized versions of the Osky Wow from 1912-2016;
  • remarkable items from the Jones family’s industrial past including Globe Iron, DT&I, Crown Pipe&Foundry and the Cambrian Hotel along with large portraits and photographs of family members.

Since the opening of the Jones Museum, local individuals and former residents have donated treasured items and photographs of Jackson’s past that are regularly used in exhibits. The museum is often used by local groups for small special events and group meetings.

 The main museum building was a home built in 1867 by Horace Chapman, founder of the National Bank. The Jones family purchased the home in 1921 and remodeled using architect Frank Packard, who had worked with Edwin Jones in the building of the Cambrian Hotel in 1900. Both Chapman and Edwin Jones were candidates for Ohio Governor in the early 1900s.

The museum is by ordinance a part of the City of Jackson and is overseen by the seven-member Jackson City Museum board. Three of the members are chosen by the Mayor of Jackson and the other four are chosen by current board members. 

Current Museum Board members are President Alana Billman; Vice-President Amanda Crabtree; Secretary Naomi Worthington; Treasurer Mike Morgan and members Joe Finch, Kathy Miller and Brian Moore.

 Regular meetings of the Jackson City Museum Board of Trustees are the first Monday of each month at the Jones Museum.

About the Jones Family

Lillian Jones’ great grandfather came with his family from Wales in 1834 and settled in southern Jackson County at Hewitts Fork. He was a very ambitious and capable man and was one of the founders and the first president of Jefferson Furnace in 1854. He purchased Globe & Fulton Furnaces which became Globe Iron in 1872. Globe Iron was on West Main Street (at the site of the Eddie Jones Ball Field) and was destroyed by fire in 1876. Fulton Furnace was remodeled and became Globe Iron Company on East Main Street.

 Thomas had four children, one of whom was Eben Jones (Lillian’s grandfather). Eben, a Civil War Captain, was involved with Jefferson Furnace and was also a banker. He married Ann Williams, and they had seven children:

  • (1) Thomas A. (a member of the Supreme Court of Ohio)
  • (2) Edwin (Lillian’s father)
  • (3) John E. (President of Globe Iron)
  • (4) Newton (lived in Columbus)
  • (5) Emma Jones Givens (who lived in New York)
  • (6) Charles D. (on South St. next door to older brother John E.)
  • (7) Frederick E. (whose son Fred, Jr. was founder of Buckeye Union Insurance Company)

Most of the sons of Eben were involved in the local coal, furnace, and banking industries. Edwin was involved in many businesses in Jackson including coal mining, the Diamond Flint Glass Company, Crown Pipe & Foundry, Globe Iron Company, Jackson Mill and Lumber Company, and the DT&I Railroad. In 1901, he built the Cambrian Hotel. Everything he touched seemed to turn to money. He was mayor, a councilman, on the State Central Committee and the State Executive Committee. He made an unsuccessful run for governor in 1918. He was a strong supporter of community athletics and a member of the Presbyterian Church, Elks Lodge and K of P. He was held in high esteem by those who knew him.